Thursday, November 15, 2007

Where has the time gone?

So it has been just over a month since I left Ohio and moved out to San Diego. Looking back it feels like just yesterday when I was back home at the lake skiing everyday. But its crazy how times have changed. Since I moved out here it has been non-stop action all the time; I am constantly surrounded by this incredible community of people who have such amazing love for others. We are all here fighting for the justice of the Ugandan people but one thing you learn early on, living with 40 people in one house, it is impossible to love the people in Uganda if we can not love the people living around us. This is a pretty cliche idea that they teach us early on but it is so true. It is so easy for our hearts to break for the people thousands of miles away who are being so brutally mistreated but it is not so easy to love your roommate who slowly annoys you from day to day and finally sets you off when he neglects to wash his dishes one day. This is when love is really tested. Needless to say living with this many people comes with its challenges.

So after I had been here for a couple of weeks the city of San Diego decided to catch on fire. I had just gotten back from a weekend in LA when we found out that there were multiple fires surrounding the city and they were rapidly approaching our office and our house. To make a long story short, the next day we ended up having to move out of our house and our office and setup shop at friends' houses for a few days. This is a picture that I took of the fire the night we evacuated. This picture was taken on top of the hill by our house. Our office is down in the valley closer to the fire. The next day the fires started to climb over the mountain in the background and began come down the hill towards town. But miraculously the fires diverted to the south and spared both our office and our house. It is funny how no matter where I move in the country natural disasters just seem to follow me; whether its hurricanes in Florida, Avalances in Colorado, or wildfires in California.

Here is a picture I took recently at Ocean Beach. We have been going to the beach quite a bit and one day I was able to get some decent surf pics from the pier. This was during the fires so the sky was pretty hazy and the lighting wasn't the greatest but you get the idea.

This has been short and random but please keep checking back, I will try to be better about posting stuff up here. Take care, I love you all!

-C

No comments: